Motion Vibes: project empowers motion design students with hearing problems
January 10, 2017
URBAN EMPTINESS NICOSIA FESTIVAL
November 28, 2017
URBAN EMPTINESS NICOSIA | Call for volunteers
December 1-10, 2017
October 4, 2017
What is URBAN EMPTINESS NICOSIA?
Urban Emptiness Nicosia is a public art and performance festival, focusing on the creative potential of walking the city, taking place from December 1-10, 2017, in Nicosia, Cyprus. We welcome disciplinary diversity: walks, performances outdoors, and indoors related visuals/ installation, going along with public talks.
Urban Emptiness Nicosia invites to innovative, experimental approaches to the city of Nicosia. Walks and performances encompass engaging ways of intervening public spaces and relate to Nicosia's social/cultural/geographical fabric. The project is particularly oriented to creative projects that challenge us to rethink our everyday relationship to the urban environment.
The Urban Emptiness 2017 Nicosia organizers are:
⦁ Cultural Studies and Contemporary Arts (CSCA) Laboratory Nicosia, Cyprus
⦁ DANCE GATE LEFKOSIA CYPRUS, supported by DH Lefkosia, Cyprus/ framework of NO_ BODY Festival 2017
⦁ Urban Emptiness Network
The Urban Emptiness 2017 international partners are:
Parsons - Fine Arts, New York.
Institut supérieur des arts et des chorégraphies (ISAC) - Académie royale des beaux-arts de Bruxelles / École supérieure des arts (ARBA - ESA), Brussels
National Technical University of Athens - School of Architecture (NTUA), Athens
Why should you get involved?
We are looking for 20 enthusiastic people who will form the core team of volunteers for the event, and who are willing to offer their time and expertise to help in the smooth management of this unique event. As a volunteer you will be an integral part of Urban Emptiness team working with staff members and partners to run the event. You will be allocated a specific role, in consultation, but should be flexible and happy to help with other tasks where needed. You will be part of a multi-national team and gain new experience in all aspects of making a city festival and symposium happen.
Criteria to apply as a volunteer
• Be aged at least 18
• Have experience in organising or supporting (international) events
• Be a flexible team-player with good communication skills
• Have a good command of English (knowledge of other EU languages is an asset)
• Live within close proximity to Nicosia*
Furthermore, by applying as a volunteer, you commit to:
• Be available for a preparatory meeting in Nicosia second half of October (date, time, place to be defined).
• Be available for the preparation of the event and the event itself on 1-10 December 2017 and/or for the preparatory phase 1-30 November 2017
• Take an active part in all stages of the preparation, in close co-operation with the team.
Your main responsibilities as a volunteer
As a volunteer you will be mainly responsible for:
• Being part of or leading a team of volunteers assigned with a specific tasks on the days of the Festival
• Providing information and orientation to participants
• Developing and running specific programme elements
• Supporting collaborating organisations and partners in setting up and running their activities
• Managing spaces (meeting artists, speakers and participants, preparing the rooms/spaces, ensuring IT and other material is in place and properly used)
• Facilitating performance spaces and supporting artists to ensure performances run smoothly
• Other tasks defined in consultation with you
In addition to these general responsibilities we are looking for a number of more specific profiles for the different roles below. Please indicate in your application if you would be interested in taking on one of these specific roles.
Do you have experience in managing a team? Are you stress-resistant with great organisation and communication skills? We are looking for two co-ordinators responsible for managing the volunteers on-site and making sure their needs and expectations are met.
Are you passionate about communication and social media? Do you have specific skills such as graphic design or copy writing? Are you a keen photographer or video-maker? We are looking for two volunteers to support the Urban Emptiness Festival communication team and for (live) coverage of the event.
Do you have experience with event management? We are looking for one or two volunteers to support the implementation of our action plan.
Commitments from Urban Emptiness
Urban Emptiness commits to:
• Provide adequate insurance coverage for you while carrying out your volunteering role
• Provide a description of the role offered, its aim and expected learning outcomes
• Provide thorough induction needed to meet the responsibilities of this role
• Provide support and supervision, including with regular contacts and mutual feedback
• Ensure a healthy and safe working environment
• Ensure that all volunteers are dealt with in accordance with equal opportunities policy
• Resolve fairly and swiftly any problems, complaints and difficulties you may encounter while volunteering at Urban Emptiness
Interested? Here are the next steps…
The deadline for applications is October 15th 2017, 23:59 CET.